You may not remember too much about 2008, but if you don’t, you definitely should take the time to learn about it. It was the year the housing market crashed, the year that Obama won the presidential election, and the year that the Writers Guild strike affected Hollywood (giving us the worst possible season of Friday Night Lights ever).
Most importantly: 2008 is the year that tons of important, influential, and downright catchy songs were released. You may not remember the year’s greatest hits off the top of your head, but after scrolling through these bops, you’ll be like “Wow, even with the market crash, I still kind of wanna go back to 2008.”
Here are some nostalgic songs that turned 10 years old this year and deserve a lil’ love. (Just try not to start dancing in public.)
1. “Pocketful of Sunshine” by Natasha Bedingfield
All I can think of is Emma Stone singing along to this in Easy A …
2. “See You Again” by Miley Cyrus
Remember when Miley was still Hannah Montana and hadn’t yet gone through her twerking phase??
3. “That’s Not My Name” by The Ting Tings
Okay, say what you will, but this song was a bop. But also, who knows what happened to The Ting Tings?
4. “4 Minutes” by Madonna ft. Justin Timberlake and Timbaland
Back when Justin Timberlake was still being featured on tracks…
5. “Whatever You Like” by T.I.
Such a killer hook.
6. “Low” by Flo Rida feat. T-Pain
Who could forget the song that popularized the phrase “apple-bottom jeans”??
7. “Love Song” by Sara Bareilles
You KNOW you indulged your inner moody-songwriter girl while listening to this song.
8. “Touch My Body” by Mariah Carey
Mariah isn’t always consistent—but when she makes a hit, she makes a DAMN HIT.
9. “Lollipop” by Lil’ Wayne
Just another iconic addition to the trove of hip-hop songs that make candy sound dirty as hell.
10. “So What” by P!nk
Okay, I’ll be honest — I have no memory of this song. I feel like this was before P!nk’s full-on resurgence into the cultural conversation/her aerial dancing.
11. “Love in This Club” by Usher ft. Young Jeezy
Where has Usher been??
12. “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” by Soulja Boy Tell’em
I blame this song for so many horrible dance moves in high school.
13. “I Kissed A Girl” by Katy Perry
Yes — 2008 is essentially the year that Katy Perry was BORN.
14. “Decode” by Paramore
I mean, if you were into Twilight, then you definitely listened to this song.
15. “Bleeding Love” by Leona Lewis
When I was in high school my friend joked that the lyrics were “I keep peein,’ keep keep peein’ blood,” and now I can’t NOT hear those words when I listen to this song.
16. “Love Story” by Taylor Swift
Does anyone ever miss curly-haired, pre-drama Taylor? I kind of do.
17. “Womanizer” by Britney Spears
ICONIC, if almost impossible to sing along with.
18. “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay
Remember Coldplay? Yeah, me too. Kinda.
19. “American Boy” by Estelle ft. Kanye West
Well before Kanye became a truly divisive cultural icon. Those were the days.
20. “Just Dance” by Lady Gaga
BIRTH OF GAGA. Well, sort of.
21. “Disturbia” by Rihanna
Yes, Rihanna has been turnin’ out killer hits for over A DECADE.
22. “Hot N Cold” by Katy Perry
It’s now stuck in your head forever and ever, amen!
23. “Single Ladies” by Beyoncé
Oh, MAN. Thanks to this song, no wedding playlist will ever be the same.